Boise Schools Community Education
8169 W. Victory Rd.
BACKYARD CHICKENS & YOUR GARDEN
THIS COURSE IS NOW CLOSED. SPRING SESSION REGISTRATION OPENS MARCH 31, 2019. COME BACK AND SEE US!
There are still openings remaining at this time.
The class is designed for both the inexperienced to the advanced backyard chicken person. You'll learn the basics of caring for chickens and how they can help your garden grow, no matter what time of year.
We have designed the class as a hands-on instructional class. You will have the opportunity to see 4-6 different varieties of poultry in class. Students will see the birds up close, watch demonstrations, and be able to handle the birds in order to have a real hands-on learning experience
Listed below are just a few of the areas that will be covered during class:
- Selecting and finding the correct breed for your needs.
- What kind of coop is better for your needs. Also suggested design needs.
- Care for your bird, types of feed, and preventing illnesses, seasonal needs.
- The dos and don'ts of egg care and handling.
- Why am I not getting eggs?
- What to do for winter
- How chickens bring other good benefits to your garden and life.
- Composted chicken manure is high in great nutrients for soil and plants. Learn how to create compost andin several ways.
- What kinds of plants grow well in high nutrient soil.
- The pros and cons of chickens in your garden for pest control.
You are encouraged to bring questions about poultry or gardening.
Click on instructor links for biographies; ages 10+ with guardian.