WINTER CARE FOR BACKYARD CHICKENS
|Dates:||October 21, 2021|
|Meets:||Th from 6:30 PM to 8 PM|
|Fee:||$15.00 Fee Breakdown|
Class will be held via ZOOM. Instructor will email the ZOOM meeting code before class. NOTE: Please have a pen and notebook, and your questions ready! Optional $12.99 Material fee is for Gretchen's book, "The Backyard Chicken Fight".
THIS COURSE IS NOW CLOSED. WINTER SESSION REGISTRATION OPENS JANUARY 9TH, 2022. COME BACK AND SEE US!
There are still openings remaining at this time.
Class will be held via ZOOM. Instructor will email the ZOOM meeting code before class.Learn the basics of caring for chickens and how they can help your garden grow, even in the Winter! This course is for beginners to advanced poultry and gardening experts. The instructors will bring 4-6 different varieties of poultry to class for students to see up close, for demonstration purposes and to give the student hands on with a bird.
Listed below are just a few of the areas that will be covered during class:
- Selecting and finding the correct breed for your needs. Is it better to start with chicks or adult birds?
- Type of equipment to purchase or make.
- Care for your bird, types of feed, and preventing illnesses.
- The dos and don'ts of egg care and handling.
- Why am I not getting eggs?
- What to do for winter
- How chickens bring other good benefits to your garden.
- Composted chicken manure is high in great nutrients for soil and plants. Learn how to create compost and what kinds of plants grow well in high nutrient soil.
- The pros and cons of chickens in your garden for pest control.
Feel free to bring any questions that you might have about poultry or gardening.
Please click on instructor link for biographies; ages 10+ if accompanied by a parent.